25 September 2009

Meandering in the Maze of Mediocrity

Sometimes people you have never even met before can help you out in ways you never imagined, even if it is just that they are sitting next to you on a bus... minding their own business, or are feeling what you feel and have put it so precisely into words that you think they have read your mind and spoken for you. Your thoughts become their voice and you realize you aren't alone in this big crazy world. Or someone you love tells you exactly what you needed to hear and it reminds you once again why you love them so and that there exists a power that truly does bind you together, heart, mind, body and soul, and it is real!
There is a reason men are inspired and there is a reason we are meant to "Love one Another", and serve one another! We all have different ways to help and uplift each other, to relate to those who feel isolated and alone in their frustrations, it's because we aren't alone and WE have the responsibility to understand that truth and share it through our life's experiences.

My title was taken from a wise man's life creed, I don't have a link to it but I do have it written down.

I am part of the fellowship of the unashamed. The die has been cast! I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made; I am a disciple of Jesus Christ. I won't look back, let up, slow down, or be still. My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, and my future is secure. I'm finished and done with low living, small planning, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tainted visions, worldly talking, cheap giving, and dwarfed goals. I no longer need pre-eminence, positions, promotions, plaudits or popularity. I now live by faith, lean on His
presence, walk with patience, am uplifted by prayer, and labor with power. My face is set, my gait is fast, and my goal is Heaven. My road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions are few, my guide is reliable, my mission is clear! I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, divided or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of the adversary, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I won't give up, shut up, or let up, until I have stayed up stored up, and paid up of the cause of Christ. I must go till He comes, give till I drop, preach till I know, and work till He stops me. And when He returns for His own, He will have no problem recognizing me. My banner will be clear.
Henry B. Eyring

For more info on this and other great men please visit lds.org
i.e.:Adversity



A few years ago I began to write my own life creed, studying everything I could to figure out what direction I needed to be moving in so that I didn't feel so much like a wanderlust. I have always been a wanderer, always daydreaming and imagining but having a hard time putting those daydreams into practical use. It is a large part of my creative side but it is also responsible for my inability to stick to one plan and see it through namely in regards to my education. I enjoy so many things and get easily frustrated when I don't see immediate progress/results. Lately I have felt very useless and helpless a sign that I need to better myself!
My other half has been a great support in motivating me in the right direction, I need to see things to feel that they are securely before me so we sat down and wrote out a plan, not with any specific time frame but a Life Plan of sorts. We wrote down what we wanted, what was important and what we could be working on right now to put us in a better position to progress in the near future and be better prepared for what we truly desire. On the top of our list was Family, followed by our desires to be continually educated, to make a difference in the world around us. Then we got into the silly things I like to think of as the frosting on out cake of life, like wanting to build our own home, have a music room, a library of our very own, a pool, a large yard with a garden and plenty of room for our children to roam and have adventures of there very own. We continued to discuss how we would educate our children, how we would raise them the ideals and standards we wish to teach through wise example. Sure we have discussed these sorts of things a million times before we were even married but we wrote it all down and have a place we can refer to if we ever feel like we are 'meandering in the maze of mediocrity'! I guess I am just emptying my head for now so that I have something to which I can refer back to when I am feeling particularly uninspired.



p.s. thanks Jasmine you were what I needed today

1 comment:

Lincoln and Alisia said...

This post made me really happy and reminded me of the mission, and how I need to go back to those goals I set as well as not putting up with mediocrity. I love you girl, and thanks for the reminder!